Thursday, December 9, 2010

Welcome


So here it goes, my first post.  I have had this blog for about 2 months, but hesitated to start. Wow, I think this is going to be very exciting! Welcome to my family. Where to start? First of all, my name is Jenny and I am wife to wonderful Bradley and mother to Lila (3 years) and James (14 months). Second, I am  licensed professional counselor and was operating a private practice, primarily working with children, until September of last year when my son was born. I decided to put my practice on hold for a while to attend to the needs of my two beautiful children. I realize that they are only young once and I want to enjoy them while they still want "mommy".  It is a busy, joyous life I am leading and I would not change it for the world. "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy!!... I hear that a lot from my precocious little princess or dog or reindeer, (which is quite often this Christmas season). Lila is definitely in the fantasy stage right now, which is a great stage, and a lot of fun when I can remember which part I am supposed to play in her little continuous drama.  James is curious and sweet, and thinks his big sister is a constant hoot! I am just afraid he is not going to know what her real name is because it is always changing from sleeping beauty, to Lady (lady & the tramp), to Rudolph. I can't wait to see what name he chooses for her.

James was diagnosed with Trisomy 21, otherwise known as Down Syndrome, a week after he was born. I believe that this was definitely a changing point in my life, our entire family's existence.  I almost feel like my life has been split in two parts. Life before finding out about James' diagnosis, and life since. The first year of James' life has been quite an experience. Grieving the loss of the boy I had expected, learning about what this diagnosis might mean, figuring out how to manage the different therapies that James needs, and most of all loving him with a mighty fierce "momma bear's" love that makes me confident that I can face all challenges ahead like a steamroller.  I have learned to be a teacher, an advocate, and possibly an even better counselor through the experiences I have had this year. I am thankful for the loving support that I have received from my family and friends. I am overjoyed at the amount of love I have felt from so many. I am glad to have new friends in my life.  People who have stepped up during a time when I needed them, and friendships I have made particularly due to James diagnosis. 

I hope to use this blogspot as a place to share my experiences for my own benefit, as well as occasionally posting helpful information for families with special needs.  Welcome to Raynerworld!

1 comment:

  1. Thrilled to see your blog and your beautiful family! Good luck! It will take time to continue, but a great adventure for you, I'm sure. I miss seeing all you sweet Ole Miss girls like I used to!

    ReplyDelete